You would have faced many a times, frustrating experiences with IVR systems. And wondered for whom is this IVR system designed for? The choices didn’t seem to match up. User interfaces weren’t intuitive, leaving the user dissatisfied.
“Your phone system is so confusing”, “Selections are quickly read, before I could interpret”.
Each time the system kept saying “I do not understand your request”
DMG estimates that majority of IVR scripts and VUI have not been refreshed in over 3 years. As a result, IVRs continue to frustrate callers. IVR optimization is the single largest improvement opportunity in today’s contact centers.
AVOKE Analytics benchmark data reveals that IVR optimization is the single largest improvement opportunity in most large contact centers. IVR issues like call disconnect, mis-routed calls account for nearly 4-6% of agent calls.
When it comes to designing IVR, keeping it simple would be the best strategy.
IVR reports are inadequate to understand customer behavior and optimize IVR systems. It tells you that your IVR is behaving as it was designed, but does not give you any clue whether it is working for your customers or how to improve it.
IVR analytics tools help in analyzing calls end-to-end and provide valuable insights into where customers are struggling in the IVR.
Sensiple has been partnering with leading IVR analytics providers. And with our years of experience in IVR, we have analyzed overly complicated IVR systems of our clients.
Some of the key performance indicators (KPI) that are critical for improving an IVR system are:
- Customer Displacement Rate: percentage of calls that do not require the help of agents
- Customer drop-out Rate: Pinpoints exactly where callers request the assistance of a live agent
- Call Containment-How many customers hang-up in the IVR
- IVR Logs and Log-based Reports- Engineers view detailed logs describing callers interacting with each prompt
- Automated Speech Recognition: predicting the accuracy of ASR engine
Some of the leading tools available in the market are BBN, ClickFox and Nuance.
1. BNN captures the whole-call recording of the call, until it gets transferred to an agent. The captured audio files are loaded into AVOKE application for analysis. The findings are presented as reports and dashboards. Companies can use this data to identify the root cause of IVR issues.
2. ClickFox works by ingesting raw data logs from various third party systems. Using a behavioral pattern recognition engine, builds a path visualization layer that displays customer’s task flow for every transaction. The system builds a model of the exact path the customer has taken for each transaction, on a granular level.
3. Nuance records a predefined percentage of calls, end-to-end, including IVR and agent conversations. A full text transcript is created and natural language analysis of all captured calls are performed. Nuance Voice Insight to systemically group calls by caller intent/category so that this information can be further analyzed.
Managing a poorly designed IVR would no longer be an excuse to companies. Its going to cost you less to implement IVR analytics, but you can see the returns in 3 to 6 months itself.